|Small Business Information|
Todays Chef, Tomorrows Restaurateur -- Startup Tips by Restaurant Consultants Inc
Researching information for a recent business plan, I came across an interesting number of 54,000. What is the big deal about that? Over 54,000 new restaurant business licenses were applied for in the last twelve months nationally. That is over 4,500 new restaurant licenses every month, or 90 licenses per state per month.
Out of these 4,500 monthly licenses, I wondered about how many of these new applicants are experienced operators who are really qualified to open a restaurant. As a new restaurant startup specialist, I can sadly attest to the fact that very few of these persons are fully qualified, and as a result, my firm, Restaurant Consultants, Inc. stays busy aiding those who are wise enough to ask for aid in the early stages of a startup restaurant.
The truth is that few people (just starting up) are fully competent at each task in a restaurant. As a new owner operator, you will need to master these skills beforehand-or get help. Frankly, if you do not, you will personally pay the price of being less profitable, and possibly the ultimate price of going out of business. Let us look at a few broad areas where you may need operational assistance:
1. Concept Development: Can you create a concept, position it in the marketplace, and grow the concept through licensing or franchising? What is your exit plan?
2. Pre-opening: Are you able to produce a Feasibility Study, a Business Plan, a Demographic Survey, and schedule the opening around a timetable and budget?
3. Staffing: Are you familiar with employment law, hiring, training, establishing personnel policies and scheduling all of your staff around a budget? Did we discuss management training and development yet?
4. Standards of operation: You will need some operational guidelines to insure that everyone is on the same page. In addition, you will need a personnel handbook with job descriptions. Also, let's not forget the recipe book-with costed out menus, pictures, portions and prices.
5. Purchasing: Can you negotiate with vendors, can you obtain the very best pricing (do you know what the best price is?) and how do you know what your inventory levels should be at for your expected volume?
We have not touched on many other areas including marketing, sales development, cost controls, advertising, promotions, vendor relationships, alcohol management, office management-including accounting, payroll, taxes and other paperwork?and the list goes on.
Here are ten good reasons why you should use a restaurant consultant:
1. Avoid wasting money. Quality prior planning will help you avoid the unexpected.
2. Construction of a Feasibility Study will uncover competition and other barriers to your success. Done in the very early stages, this is your starting point.
3. Creation of a business plan will help you solidify your concept, your plan, and will cement your ideas in a written form-a blueprint for success. This is step two.
4. Become more profitable. Third party feedback is impartial, constructive, and will give you systematic methods on how to improve your operations.
5. Get the right team. Want top-notch people working for you? You will need the right systems in place to get and keep them. Why should they join your team? Quality human resource planning makes a lot of sense.
6. Implement the right systems. Squirrel or Aloha? Is a pre-check system the right one? Yes, these and many other questions will need answers. By getting help, you will save money, time, and heartache.
7. Get the right menu. It needs to be done right the first time. Which items are going to be the most profitable, and where should they go on the menu? Do you know how to fully use your most important selling tool?
8. Large or small projects are OK. You do not need a $6,000.00 project to justify using a consultant. Pricing is based on the size of your project, where you are located, and the nature of the work to be done. Besides, a price quote will not cost you a thing! In virtually every situation, the consulting fees that you pay will be more than offset by your newfound profits and a more efficient operation.
9. Vendor Negotiation. How are you going to avoid paying too much for your food? The author of this article has had major distributor experience as Director of business development. Did you know that you could save a lot of money when your consultant negotiates your food prices on your behalf? He has also owned restaurants and feels your pain when it comes to dealing with vendors. There are right ways to set up these relationships. Do not waste time or money doing it yourself.
10. Most importantly, you will get your restaurant open. Perhaps you have a concept, but lack the time, talent, or interest. We can open it for you! We can work with you side-by-side or simply hand it over to you-ready to go. If you are working now and want to open a restaurant on the "Side", it may make sense to go this route, and simply walk into your new open business. We are flexible, and you are always in the driver's seat.
You have your education, you have real world experience, and it's time to strike out on your own as a restauranteur. Do not go it alone. We are here to help you succeed it one of the toughest businesses around. Take advantage of your resources, and see www.restaurantconsultant.org for free tips on starting your new operation.
*Kevin Moll is the President of Denver based Restaurant Consultants, Inc., and a published author with over 30 years of hospitality experience. His startup services are available worldwide for projects of all sizes. He can be reached at 1-800-961-6005 or visit http://www.restaurantconsultant.org
Unable to open RSS Feed $XMLfilename with error HTTP ERROR: 404, exiting
Window Cleaning Business Case Study
How do window cleaning franchise businesses start? It is a fascinating case study indeed, as most all window cleaning businesses start from such humble beginnings; a bucket of water, a sharp entrepreneur and a quality squeegee. I never thought in a million years I would ever enter the Window Washing Industry.
How to Sponsor an Event for Fun and PROFIT
How do you sponsor an event and get personal introductions at the same time?So how can sponsoring help you to be visible to the business community and gain the right contacts? It is actually quite simple, you need to find events that are visible to the audience you are interested in.Find out: Whom you wish to do business with Which sports they like What community events they likeWhere the upper management families live and their community involvementThe events that they watch are the ones that you should sponsor.
11 Things Small Business Owners Can Learn From The Miracle On Ice
1. Know Where You're Going - Coach Herb Brooks had a strategic plan for assembling the American team.
Business Valuation is Critical
What is Business Valuation?The term business valuation is the method by which the business worth is determined. This usually happens when the business is for sale, when the business is looking for extra funding from the banks, when the business is considering taking on extra investors, or where the business is looking at merging with another organisation.
3 Ways To Make Certain Your Business Fails
Most small businesses incorporated in 2005 will fail by the year 2007. No matter the industry or the economic times in which the company was initially conceived, the fact remains that businesses fail on a daily basis due to general lack of knowledge and know-how.
Small Businesses You Can Start in Automotive
There are many choices when thinking about a small business involving your favorite hobby, cars. What about a Mobile detailing franchise? Yes they too are available.
Your Small Business Suggestion Box
A suggestion box is a really good idea for your business. It can help you get valuable feedback from your customers -- feedback that they don't normally think to share with you.
How to Profile a Client
At first glance, this topic may seem a little repetitive, but you will find that although you have done homework before getting a contract and already know a fair amount about your client, you, however, do not know everything that is pertinent to the job. Once you have the project underway you will be adding to your knowledge of the client.
How to Use Graphs and Charts in Your Business Plan
Many people ask how many graphs or charts they should have in their business plans. As with most other business planning questions, the answer is "it depends.
How to Find A Group that Needs Speakers
How do you find groups that are in need of speakers(at no charge)?Finding groups that use speakers is not difficult. I find that most organized service groups use speakers for their regular meetings.
Janitorial Cleaning Service: Getting Started
A janitorial cleaning service is one of the best businesses for a hardworking, blue collar person to start from scratch. Every business and every building needs to be cleaned once in a while - in some cases, many times each day.
Mobile Car Wash Market Opportunities in California
The current lack of industry leaders represents an exceptional opportunity for a large and organized mobile car wash company to achieve regional domination and eventually dominate the Southern California carwash market. The best place to start a regional assault on this market would be to concentrate North and West of Los Angeles; Chatsworth and Simi Valley to Malibu and Tarzana to Santa Barbara.
Franchise Buyers Lying On Forms
The Federal Trade Commission which governs the franchise industry thru the franchise rule, which enforces Franchise Disclosure laws seems to think that consumers need to be protected even when they lie. Often The FTC takes complaints from consumers who claim they had been ripped off or lied to from someone selling a Biz-OP or some corporation, which sells franchises.
Buy a Flower Shop: Serious Considerations
You've always liked flowers and you think the idea of turning emotions into floral expressions sounds like tremendous fun. You are between careers and have been investigating business opportunities in your community.
Accounting Methods - Cash and Accrual
When starting a business, you have to determine the method you are going to use for accounting and paying taxes. The two choices are the cash method and the accrual method.
Mattress Cleaning Business: How To Manual
A Mattress Cleaning Business might be just for you if you have tried everything to contain your allergies, but feel like it is not enough. Instead of just purchasing the equipment to rid your fabric furniture and mattresses of allergens, you can also help others in your community to feel the relief and make a good income at the same time.
A Business Tail: Veterinarian Foams at Mouth, Chases Tail, Learns New Tricks--Case Study
Many self employed professionals find themselves overwhelmed, frustrated, and confused when it comes to running their businesses. The deep skills they have in their professional field do little to prepare them for the dog-eat-dog world of running a business.
Do You Want Your Own Fully Programmable ERP? - Part 3
Continuing from the second article:6. About the aground mathematical model, let us to see the product k:First quantity received in 10/6/98, quantity 1,000, unit cost US$ 34.
Employee Monitoring - Business Risks For Employers And How To Avoid Them
E-mail and Internet use are integral parts of the typical worker's daily routine. Because of its speed and overall convenience, e-mail has replaced the interoffice memorandum as the preferred method of communication.
Small Business Marketing Series - Choosing a Niche Market
Many smaller businesses choose niche markets for various reasons and these niche markets can be very lucrative. This article will look at ways to identify and assess whether they are right for your business?For many smaller businesses it is important to have a focused strategy which enables them to operate in a small part of a chosen market with great success.
|home | site map | contact us|